Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Memoirs From Funeral

Jean's son-in-law, John Nugent read the following memoirs at the funeral:

Jean Rogers Haws - My MOTHER By her daughter, Rea Haws Mennenga "Words to Describe My Mother" M Stands for how my mother was merciful, a mentor, a missions supporter, motherly, matrimonial (her love for Daddy was evident to all), and ministering to others. O Stands for how my mother was "others first", obedient, outgoing, overlooked wrongs against her, an overseer of girls scouts, and had great outings (with potato salad). T Stands for how my mother was tender, thoughtful, task driven, true-blue, trustworthy, a teacher, and a trained nurse. H Stands for how my mother was humble, humorous, honest, heroic, a hard worker, a helper (nursing, church & community), and a heritage for the love of her Jesus. E Stands for how my mother was educated, entertaining, emotional, and an encourager. R Stands for how my mother was a rewarded, reliable, resolved to carry out commitments, romantic, religious (as a Christian), and for family reunions. Margo's Thoughts My mom taught me that every person has value in God's eyes and that the irregular people in our lives deserve our friendship. Even at the end of her life when she was suffering herself, she displayed compassion and kindness toward those around her. For example, after her first round of Chemotherapy and a month in the hospital, she had to spend a week in a nursing home in Salem. She disliked being there so much she called it the "Big House." One evening when Joany stopped by, she found Mom in the dining room feeding a grouchy lady who had refused to eat for the staff. After our Thanksgiving visit, my family was saying good-bye to Mom at the Willson House. We didn't realize that this would be our last good-bye, but even then she was modeling God's love. A woman was verbally abusing the staff outside of Mom's door. As we said our tearful good-bye, Mom said to the woman, "Come on Dorothy, let's go to lunch." Dorothy forgot her angry outburst and followed Mom to the dining room. I'm thankful that our last memory of Mom was a lesson in compassion, gentleness and humor. Thank you Mom - May I love as well as you loved. Found in Mom's Bible: -Beatitudes for Friends of the Aged- Blessed are they who understand My faltering step and palsied hand. Blessed are they who know my ears must strain To catch the things they say today. Blessed are they who seem to know My eyes are dim and my wits are slow. Blessed are they who looked away When my coffee spilled at the table today. Blessed are they with a cheery smile Who stopped to chat for a little while. Blessed are they who never say, "You've told that story twice today." Blessed are they who know the way To bring back memories of yesterday. Blessed are they who make it known I'm loved, respected, and not alone. Blessed are they who know I'm at a loss To find strength to carry the cross. Blessed are they who ease the days On my journey home in loving ways. Harold's Memories of Mom I have many memories of mom but three things come to mind first. She was devoted to her faith, devoted to her family and cared for others. It wasn't until years later that I realized my mom had a special gift. As a result of her faith in the Lord, God gave her the gift of mercy. She spent a lifetime caring for others. Whether she was working in one of the area's hospitals, doing private duty nursing, or as the Trinity County School nurse, she had compassion for all who were hurting. As I was going through her Bible this week, I read something she had written on the inside of one of the pages. The author is unknown but the words describe the essence of who she was. It was entitled, "Consider This" Is anybody happier because you passed his way? Does anyone remember that you spoke to him today? This day is almost over and its toiling time is through. Is there anyone to utter now a friendly word for you? Can you say tonight in passing with the day that slipped so fast, That you helped a single person of the many that you passed? Is a single heart rejoicing over what you did or said? Does one whose hopes are fading now with courage look ahead? Did you waste the day or lose it? Was it well or poorly spent? Did you leave a trail of kindness or a scar of discontent? I drew strength from mom this week. As we all were saddened with her news, she had a wonderful peace. She has run the race with grace, dignity and peace. I said goodbye to my friend this week but I know it won't be forever. The Lord who she shared with me many years ago will reunite us again. Until then, Mom, you will be missed here among us but your memory will live on in the hearts of all you touched. She, was a Good One! My Mamma -By Shannon Mom loved life. She loved: swimming in the Trinity River, hot weather, the Marco Polo, oil painting, her golf cart, the Phoenix Suns, her siblings, baking Snicker Doodles, Anne of Green Gables, singing hymns, a good belly laugh, her children and grandchildren, the Bible, praying, Daddy and her Lord. Mom's nursing career was a big part of our life. When I was young and got sick at school, Mom would send Howard Lovely from the hospital to pick me up at the Elementary School. She would lock me up in the single-room security ward and peak through the little window to check on me. She was committed to her family and nursing. A few months ago all of us kids were at the Salem Hospital where Mom received her Chemotherapy. She gathered the 5 of us kids around her bed and shared Scriptures to comfort us and to give us courage. Then she prayed for each of us and our families individually. I will always love Mom and Dad for leaving us a heritage of love for and dependency on our Heavenly Father. Two things that Mom did not love were: 1. Working in the Emergency Room at Trinity General because she knew all the children that came in sick and injured, and 2. She hated farewells. I never said "goody-bye" to my Mom once, from college on, where she didn't weep. So Mom, I'm not saying good-bye, I'm saying, I'll see you later. I'll miss you. What I Remember Most About My Mom -By Trula My earliest memory is of hugging my mother's legs. She had her nurse's uniform on and I could hear scissors clanging in her pocket. I spent many frightful nights in the safety of my parents' bed. I would jump right between them, all of us snug in their double bed. I spent two summers traveling to Kansas with my mom while she finished up her degree. We spent many hours together as we traveled by Greyhound all the way and stayed in a co-ed dormitory. My parents lived across the street from me for several years. I couldn't have asked for more. My children had a very close relationship with their Grandma as they spent many hours swinging in her back yard and making cookies with her. They loved to go down in her basement and get in the Jacuzzi with her. I know in my heart that Heavenly Father kept Mom alive long enough to comfort me when my Scott was taken. She was sick in the hospital and not able to attend his funeral. I longed for her loving arms. When I finally was able to go to her and crawl into her hospital bed, my heartache subsided. She held me in her arms and wept through the night at the thought of our lives without Daddy and Scott. She reminded me that Heavenly Father was in control and would not give us more than we could bear. She told me that we could find the strength we would need through our Savior Jesus Christ. The strength and comfort she demonstrated as she endured her illness was an example to me. As we gather with our family for the holidays, we can take comfort in knowing that her reunion will be the most joyous of all.

No comments: